Meet Maria! Maria is another one of CPT’s amazing tutors. This week we asked her for tips and tricks when tutoring online.
Below are her wonderful suggestions when online tutoring:
- Do the “heavy lifting” work first. I often find my students losing energy towards the end of the session, especially if it is after school. Focus on harder/newer/multi-step concepts at the beginning and save the fact practice or review for the end of the session.
- Since we are “virtual” and cannot watch the student work through problems, I find it helpful to have students talk me through what they are doing. This is helpful in two ways: I can correct errors in thinking right away and it is a good strategy for the student to reinforce their understanding of a process.
- Give specific praise/positive feedback.
- It is okay to let your student talk about off-topic things for a quick moment. I use this as a way to connect on a personal level.
- Timed “challenges” can be a fun way to engage students such as, “how many subtraction problems can you complete in 5 minutes?”
Maria comes with years of teaching experience, including online teaching. As you can imagine, she is a valuable tutor. Cambridge Prep Tutoring is lucky to have her!
If you’d like to know more about the benefits of CPT’s one-on-one online tutoring, please reach out!